The act of owning our whole selves, of being willing to lay claim to any sensation, emotion, and direct experience, gives birth to our creative potential.
– Christine Caldwell
I believe deeply in the power of both yoga and art therapy to create true health. True health represents the balance of all aspects of one’s being.
Although yoga is currently used most often as a physical exercise, anyone who sticks with it begins to realize its depth-not only as a modality for healing but as a practice of deep transformation and freedom.
Yoga has always dealt with the whole being; physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. Like Russian dolls, you lift one layer at a time until you reach your deepest self. When you begin to go deeper into the practice of yoga, you discover that what you think and what you believe, both consciously and unconsciously, are experienced in the life of the body, that our cells actually hold physical and emotional memory.
Creative Art Therapy is a form of treatment that taps directly into the unconscious through art making, poetry, story telling, music, dance, etc. It is about experiencing the natural capacity of creative expression to create emotional, psychological as well as physical well-being.
I work with people who are interested in the healing aspects of yoga as well as those interested in exploring the combination of yoga and art therapy. The work is aligned for both those who are interested in strengthening their body and connection to self, as well as those who suffer from trauma and in particular are dealing with issues of body image, depression and anxiety.
Working with clients, I never have the intention that the premise of the work is to try to make anything “go away”, the healing is in becoming more conscious so that we ultimately have more power to choose our actions rather than be controlled by our unconscious conflicts.
In a yoga session with me you will:
- Learn how to become more embodied!
- Learn how yoga can be used to create more balance in your life physically, mentally and emotionally
- Learn about your unique anatomy not just how to make a shape! Find ways through the individualized attention of a private session to create more inner space, strength, flexibility and ease
- See how the science and art of yoga can be a path towards spiritual insight
In a yoga and art therapy session you will:
- Gain insight into emotional/psychological tension that is held in the body with the use of art and yoga
- Find ways to use postures (asanas) as not only a tool for insight but in a away that can help unravel and create space around the tension
- Use the process of creativity to give form to the formless and to create a bridge between therapist and client to further the exploration so that what was once unconscious because conscious